Saturday, September 13, 2014

New Rotations

This last week was filled with many educational adventures!

In science and social studies we learned about time zones and the International Date Line! We also learned about the longest day by watching this link. We learned about earth's layers and how different mountains form. We finished the unit with a test on Friday. The day was buzzing with excitement, as we all counted down the minutes until our test so we could eat our M&Ms while taking our M&M test. Everyone did well on the test.

In math we are still reviewing concepts. We spent a couple days going over number lines and I think everyone enjoyed using a ruler to make our own number lines-making sure that each tick mark was an equal distance apart.

In Writing, we are getting closer to finishing our rough drafts for our first Opinion Paper. Our goal is to finish the whole writing process by September 24th so we can have a party on September 25th where we read our stories to each other. It will be a celebratory event! I am so excited for everyone to finish. I know the results will be fabulous because we have been working really hard in class.

For Reading, we have been learning about text connections. For our text-to-world lesson, we learned about deforestation and environmentalists. Then we read from The Lorax and made connections. I think the students felt really sophisticated when they used big words like deforestation and environmentalist correctly. I certainly thought they sounded sophisticated.

The reason this post is titled New Rotations is because starting Monday, all three of the 4th grade classes will be rotating to a new teacher for science and social studies. I am sad that I will have to say goodbye to my homeroom class but I look forward to meeting everyone in Ms. Myers' class. I will still see my homeroom class at the end of each day for "morning" meeting,  cursive, and read-aloud.

Parents: I just want to take a moment and thank you for all you do. I am amazed at the sacrifices you make to help with our fourth grade class. Thank you to those who will be driving for our upcoming field trip. I look forward to getting to know you more. I have enjoyed getting to know your children. I almost cried when I stopped to tell them how much I love each of them. I love the jokes they tell, the stories they share, and the unique personalities they each have.

As a side note: I am looking for a parent volunteer to come in my math class from 9:00 until 9:25 to help with independent work and homework. You could come once a week, twice a week, every other week. Any day would be great! Please contact me if you would be able to come help.

No comments:

Post a Comment